Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Dot~Collaborative Work of Art

We have finally completed our whole school collaborative art project based on Peter Reynolds' book, The Dot. Unannounced to me when we began this project, there is an International Dot Day! With art only once every six school days for 45 minutes and school starting the first week of September, we didn't get it done in time to celebrate ON International Dot Day (Sept. 15th, the anniversary of it's publication), but all the kids had at least started it by then. The full work of art is completely stunning in person, and it is so much fun to watch the kids and adults alike stand in awe in front of it!


 There are a few combinations that really stand out to me. I find it interesting to listen to my colleagues. We each pick out different ones that really pop to each of us! Here are a few that I notice everytime I walk by.






This was the first project that I used a rubric for. I only used it with third-fifth grade, and it was a little confusing for some of the third graders. I plan on exploring rubrics much more this year, including picture rubrics for the younger grades to get them thinking about their art more. My rubric can be found here, if you are interested in it. However, if I do this again, I would move the writing portion to the top to get students thinking about the Elements of Design before they fill in the rubric. My student teacher and I have also discussed adding pictures of the Elements for the students to simply circle. I'm trying to add more writing though, so I'm undecided about that aspect.

The lower grades had one learning target: I can create with craftsmanship. The upper grades added in: I can use at least three of the Elements of Design in my artwork. The rubric requires them to recall with Elements they used (there are posters of them in my classroom for reference), and judge their own craftsmanship. Most kids were spot on, with a bunch being quite hard on themselves and just a couple trying to get a better grade than actually earned. The rubric certainly made grading much simpler!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

These make a stunning group display, and the self-assessment rubric is a great tool to encourage artistic growth through reflection. Great work! :)

Hope Hunter Knight said...

Nice collaborative piece! I'll remember it for next year...

Dawn Lynn said...

what a great display and so creative!

Kim said...

Did you have a title for this? I am doing it right now was thinking of using some quote from the book...

Jodi said...

I just called it "The Dot." If you want a quote, it would be easy. Maybe "Make a mark & see where it takes you." or even just "make a mark."

Michelle said...

I love it!!! So bright and beautiful! It seems like a great way to introduce or review the elements. This makes me look forward to next year! Thanks for sharing!